Friday, March 1, 2013

Friday Feet and Asilomar -1st day at Empty Spools Seminar/Asilomar 03-01-13

Last night's stay at Harris Ranch Inn was wonderful!  I think I slept over eight hours, although I got up three times during the night (hot tea with dinner) I went right back to sleep.  Why can't I do that at home?  I did eat the leftover pizza for breakfast and think it was better than the first time around. 
 
I headed for Pacific Grove in light traffic and guess where my first stop was?


Back Porch Fabrics!  I parked right in front of the store where the view to the north is Monterey Bay which is the dark blue in the background with the lighter mountains beyond. 
 

It is such a welcoming store - I always feel a little like Norm must have felt in "Cheers" when everyone shouted "Norm".  Here everyone says "Hello"!  Since the first week session of Empty Spools Seminars ended today at noon and the second week started at 3pm the shop was full of ladies who either just finished or eager to begin their "quilt camp" experience.  Of course, I did buy some fabric.  Are you surprised?  Some from the Bargain Table and two pieces full price - one a Japanese import at $27/ yard, but I only bought a half yard. 
 
 Naturally with all these ladies shopping there was a line to checkout, but I always enjoy talking to the other people in line, so it wasn't a problem for me.  The lady facing the camera is shop owner Gayle Abeloe. 

 Mary couldn't do lunch, but she met me at Asilomar and we had a little visit before registration started.  She had to get back to the hospital where her husband Joe is still in the ICU.  Things are looking somewhat better and they hope he will be home next week to continue his convalescence with home care. 

Rayna Gillman's class is in Merrill Hall and she has 21 students.  I think it will be an interesting class with almost everyone hoping to "get out of the box".  The class is titled "Jump Starting the Art Quilt with 'What If?'".  The introduction today was about finding an idea to work with.

I wasn't going to post Friday Feet, but look what one of my classmates was wearing!  They are made from authentic Molas and she purchased them at a quilt show.  They are amazing and she says they are comfortable. 

Note the Empty Spools bag this year is a lovely shade of blue.
 
 
My classmate even posed so I could photograph from different angles.  See the zipper up the inside.
 
 
I don't know what this creature is - a fish?  a turtle?  She didn't know either. 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Quiltedtime said...

You definitely needed to include those feet. Awesome! Do you have any pictures of the fabric you bought?