Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Road Trip Gallup, NM - Placentia, CA 06-03-13

The last day of a fifteen day journey to Ohio and back - 4820 miles round trip.


View from HIE - Gallup, NM  7am Although there was not much separation between I-40 and the motel there wasn't much noise - good insulation.  Plus there was very little traffic (or none) when I looked out when I got up during the night.  This is on the far eastern edge of Gallup.
 

Sweet clover grows in disturbed earth and lends a lovely soft perfume to the air.
 

The leaves are "clover-like" but the flowers grow in long spikes instead of round like clover.
 

Empty road - 1-40 in AZ. There is a truck in the right lane - far ahead.  Draw a vertical line through the middle of the picture - that's where the road goes over the horizon. 
 

Cholla is a coal-fired power plant right on I-40 between Holbrook and Joseph City, AZ.  The coal comes in by rail from the McKinley Mine in New Mexico.
 
 

Chamisa in La Posada gardens - Winslow, AZ
One of a dozen varieties commonly known as rabbitbrush which are covered with bright yellow flowers in late summer and autumn.
 
Detail of Chamisa in La Posada gardens - Winslow, AZ
 
 

Hollyhock in the La Posada garden.  Winslow, AZ
 

Amtrak employees at La Posada station in Winslow, AZ.  The trains (originally the Santa Fe RR) have stopped there since the hotel was built in 1930.
 

After the Amtrak passenger train pulled out, the view changed to these freight cars covered with graffiti that were sitting on the far track.
 

Humphreys Peak north of Flagstaff is 12,670 Feet.   Flagstaff is at 7000 feet - I could feel the altitude as I walked about. Puff. Puff.   I believe the highest I went on this trip was 7325 feet just west of Flagstaff.
 

The last picture of the trip was of this road cut on I-40 just west of Kingman, AZ.  I have driven the highway from the LA basin to Lake Havasu City, AZ, so many times and taken a zillion and a half pictures.  Didn't want to take anymore! 

I'll elaborate on the trip with more pictures at a later date.  Gotta put everything away, do the laundry, pay the bills, etc.  I loved the trip, tornadoes and all, but the putting away is always more than I think I can do.  Won't keep me from Road Trips in the future, though. 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Susan Turney said...

I love your road trips! I would rather they took place sometime other than tornado season...this one was a little too close...but look forward to the next one!