Saturday, July 6, 2013

Summer Food 07-06-13

There are foods that go with seasons - pumpkins for fall, soup for winter, spring greens and abundant fresh fruit and veggies in the summer.   Although Americans now can have anything anytime of year - shipped in from somewhere else.  However, the freshness of locally grown food seems worth waiting for. 


This is the sandwich from a previous year. 
Tomatoes are wonderful and for years I always grew my own, one or two bushes/vines was always enough.  Then they started bothering my stomach and I cut down eating them and stopped growing them.  However, about this time of year I start craving a bacon, tomato, lettuce sandwich on sourdough bread spread with mayo.  Yummy, a taste from my childhood.  This morning I had breakfast out and brought home two of the bacon slices.  Now, I just have to find someone local who is growing tomatoes.  I just need one that has  ripened on the vine.
 

Way back in July 2009 Meg Messervy in Australia shared a salad recipe that sounds odd, but is DELICIOUS!  I sometimes have a hard time finding fresh radishes (and TJoe's doesn't carry them - ever!), but the radishes are a must.  There isn't an exact recipe that I know of, you have to experiment to get a combo that you like.  You need watermelon cut into about one inch squares, a fresh orange also cut into about one inch pieces, radishes sliced rather thick, and sliced black olives.  Mix these all together and refrigerate for an hour or so before serving.  I like to cut the orange over the bowl so the juice is included in the salad.  Serve this mixture on lettuce or stir it into the salad - Meg likes mixed small greens and I like cut up Romaine.  Mix together olive oil and fresh lemon juice, whip well and pour over the salad just before serving.    For just myself I use half of an orange, about a cup of cut watermelon, half a small can of sliced black olives, and maybe six walnut-sized radishes.  Or I use twice as much and save half for the next day, but don't include the lettuce, it needs to be fresh.
With cheese melted on a piece of bread this is a fabulous summer meal. 
Happy Summer to you all.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am trying this, always on the lookout for new salads

Dolores said...

Sounds refreshing!! Have a nice Sunday, Del!!

Patty ♣ said...

No ripe tomatoes until the end of August from me... The garden is looking great, just teeny tomatoes right now though..

Mary Ann said...

I have a couple that look ready to turn but we need more sun and less rain! Nothing like a tomato warm from the garden!

Melinda said...

Yum - that salad looks really good.