Thursday, October 31, 2013

Cycas 10-31-13

This is a  plant known as:
Cycas revoluta - also called sago palm, king sago, sago cycad, Japanese sago palm.
I talked about it just a month or so ago on this blog post.
http://www.delquilts.blogspot.com/2013/08/wordy-wednesday-08-28-13.html

Now it has bloomed and set fruit.
 

I suspect that the fuzzy blooms will make me itch if I get them on my skin.
 
 

See the fruits nestled tightly inside.

I've never lived next door to one of these plants, so I don't know what comes next.  Does the plant die?  Does the gardener remove the bloom and fruit?  More later.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Dolores said...

A lovely plant! The fruit are so protected and looks hazardous to try to get them out.

Loretta said...

Very, very nice photography...I await the palm's next phase!

Suzanne Kistler said...

He should remove the bloom, and the fruit.

We have multiple sagos in our yard. My husband is most proud of the two-headed one in back. It's probably 50+ years old, as we've lived here 23 years and it's only grown a foot or so.

Every once in a while we have to chop out the centers - they stop growing as long as there's reproduction going on...