Friday, October 25, 2013

Dinner at Solare Restaurant 10-24-13


I spent Saturday night in San Diego because it was too late and I was too tired to drive home to Orange County.  After the Sip, Savor, Stroll + Chocolate fund raiser at Visions Art Museum some of us went to Solare (at the other end of the block) for dinner. I hadn't been there for quite a while and the management has changed. The menu isn't terribly different, just different enough to make it hard to decide.


I rarely eat pizza because it is so salty, but decided to try the Gorgonzola/pear pizza, one of my favorites at California Pizza Kitchen.  This was larger than I expected and I had to have a doggy box.  I put it in my little cooler to bring it home and ended up have another dinner and a breakfast from the same pizza.  It was good, but not as good as CPK!
 

Another diner ordered the veggie pizza and we exchanged bites.  Next time I order pizza I'll have the veggie. 
 

Beth and I shared a dessert - wish I could remember the name, but it is Italian and I can't pronounce it anyway.  It is layers of pastry with marscapone and whipped cream and berries.  Delicious, but difficult to eat because the layers just crumble when I cut into them.  I would, however, do it again!
 

The diner on my right ordered gelato which came with a little pitcher of sauce.  I had never met the guy before so I decided not to be gauche and ask for a bite.  Sure looked good though.

I have eaten twice at the newest restaurant in the Liberty Station complex - The Fig Tree Cafe is near our favorite sushi place, Ikiru, and has only been open about four weeks.  They seem to specialize in breakfast dishes and offer a nice variety.  For breakfast on Sunday I had the stuffed French Toast which was heavenly - only too much for me to eat.  It would be about right if shared with someone.  For lunch on Tuesday the roasted turkey with avocado, tomato, etc.  I was very hungry because I hadn't eaten breakfast, so I devoured every bite.   Next time I eat at the Fig Tree Cafe I will take some photos. 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Dolores said...

I do wish I lived near you Del!!!