Monday, November 4, 2013

First Friday at VAM 11-03-13

Museums around the country observe "First Friday" when the public is admitted without charge.  Last Friday, the actual 1st, I went down to San Diego to act as a gallery "sitter" and to see the reactions of visitors to the quilts.  It was exuberant.  They were mostly just overwhelmed and kept saying so, even though most did not know that I am the collector. 
 I enjoyed the evening very much.


Board member Linda Chase with her husband, Doug (I think) sat the desk part of the evening.  The gift shop fills the area around the desk and there are always some sales when people come through.



There were about 450 visitors during the three hours the museum was open. This view is from the desk looking back to the door that accesses into the rest of the building and other museums.
  

One of the other current exhibits is "Birds" from Visions members.  These quilts are hanging in the alcove gallery across from the desk.  They are all for sale and quite reasonable priced.

 
 The event lasted three hours and I was starving by 8pm when the museum closed.  Beth and I went to our favorite sushi place, Ikiru, and ate our favorite rolls, followed by the delicious green tea ice cream with dark chocolate drizzled over the top.  Good thing I had a motel room because I would never have made it home to Placentia that night.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Dolores said...

How extremely fun and gratifying for you!!! YEAH!!

Quiltedtime said...

What a great evening! Almost a little mouse in the corner, you were. Congratulations!