Sunday, December 8, 2013

Two new additions to TCQC 12-08-13

This is a Quilt - Part II
I purchased three of the samples from SAQA's 2011 trunk show and showed two at:
http://www.delquilts.blogspot.com/2013/12/this-is-quilt-12-01-13.html
Tonight I am showing the other two pieces.

 
Pamela Allen did not name this piece, but since I have a problem with untitled items in TCQC I have named it "Knotted".  I suppose it could be "depth" or "dimension" or "corded" or "recycled", but knotted came into my head first. 

"Knotted"  2011  Pamela Allen - Kingston, Ontario, Canada   Matted to 8"x8"  11-28-13

I think Pamela's work is amazing.  How does she just sit down with scissors, fabric, and thread and come up with such interesting images and techniques?  There are six or seven of her quilts in the Collection and I treasure every one of them.

DETAIL "Knotted" 2011 Pamela Allen - Kingston, Ontario, Canada Matted to 8"x8" 11-28-13

 
DETAIL "Knotted"  2011 Pamela Allen - Kingston, Ontario, Canada Matted to 8"x8" 
11-28-13



How many times have you heard me say I don't buy quilts that need to be boxed separately - that cannot be rolled?  Well, sometimes I do.  I have another piece by Susan Else which resides in a dedicated box when not on the wall.  Sometimes I can't resist something that "speaks" to me. 

"Cold Day"  2011 Susan Else - Santa Cruz, CA  Displayed in an 8"sq. Lucite box.  11-28-13
This came from SAQA in the Lucite box - very cleverly held upright by tiny holes in the bottom through which stitches are taken into the lady's posterior.  I will keep her in the box, somehow it seems appropriate.
There are four views here, one into each side of the box. 
 

 "Cold Day"  2011 Susan Else - Santa Cruz, CA  Displayed in an 8"sq. Lucite box.  11-28-13

 
"Cold Day"  2011 Susan Else - Santa Cruz, CA  Displayed in an 8"sq. Lucite box.  11-28-13


"Cold Day"  2011 Susan Else - Santa Cruz, CA  Displayed in an 8"sq. Lucite box.  11-28-13

Susan is very good at getting realistic body language into her work.   Love the hair.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Dolores said...

Wow, two very different art quilts and beauties they are :) The lady in the box is amazing, really!!! You do have an eye, Del!!

Loretta said...

Susan is a very, very talented woman. Thank you for sharing another of her wonderful pieces.