Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Road to California #3 01-28-14

Four more quilts that caught my eye at Road. 
 
 
This quilt is very much in a style that Nancy Crow worked some years ago.  It has wonderful color and the black cuts on the white cuts on the black  strips/white strips make it fresh and crisp. 

 




Fabulous color.  I think she sewed long strips together and then cut them in segments. The only problem I have with this quilt is that I don't see how it can be called "Modern Pieced", it is very much like so many quilts I have seen over the past twenty years or so. 

David Taylor has done it again - made a fabulous quilt with exacting applique and amazing quilting.  It does look like a painting to me.


 Each little appliqued feather looks like a brush stroke.
 
The white glove lady held up the corner so I could take a picture of the back.  Beautiful leaves and vines.  He changes the bobbin thread when he changes the top thread, creating a "ghost" of the image on the back.


This great portrait was created by my friend Nancy Ota.  She is so talented, all of her quilts are outstanding in design and technical expertise.  This is so much her grandson - a great little guy.
 
#   #   #

1 comment:

Elaine said...

I am drawn to the "photolike" quilts. I chose David Taylor's hummingbirds at your exhibition at Visions and loved this one at Road. Liked your friend's quilt as well.