Sunday, January 26, 2014

Road to California Part 2 01-26-14

I have six quilts to show you this evening.  I did not take as many pictures as I usually do, I just didn't see that many quilts that "grabbed" me. Each of these has something that did.
 
Maybe a hot house on a hot day! This is such a fun quilt, I especially like the very tall flowers.

 
Wonderful idea to make negative space to show quilting designs.  This is something our foremothers knew about, leaving large solid fabric blocks to show the quilting.  The perky little bluebirds are charming. 

 
Colorful, well balanced, interesting from a distance and also up close - something I always look for in a quilt or a painting. .

 
I love Bird of Paradise quilts - they are such an expression of the individual quiltmaker.  This one is particularly colorful against the white background.

And look what she has done in the background - awesome and perfect.


Very effective - it truly looks three dimensional.  What a lot of thought and work she has put into this one.  And it isn't a very large piece - maybe 36"wide and 30"long.

Amazing detail - look at the pampas grass on the left and those tiny stones.


I agree that this is a "modern" sampler - the coloring and the festive colors.  It was made by my friend Jan Hirth, whose quilts are always exquisitely made with hand applique and beautifully finished.
 
#   #   # 

2 comments:

Julia in NZ said...

Del, I don't know you and you certainly don't know me, but I want to tell you how much I appreciate all your posts, and your collections and your huge commitment to exhbitions and travelling to them. You are truly an inspiration.

Loretta said...

Del, Thank you for taking us to Road to CA for your best of this year's show!