Wednesday, September 3, 2014

A Special Birthday Treat 09-02-14

My friends Carol and Dick Bednar decided we should go out to dinner for my birthday.  After much discussion we settled on Ruth's Chris Restaurant in Anaheim.  I had never eaten at a Ruth's Chris but Dick said I would love it.  He was right.
 
I told him to NOT tell them it was my birthday, but he didn't listen.  And I'm glad.

When we were seated, the waitress came and sprinkled a handful of confetti on the table.
An amazingly festive gesture - one I had never seen before.  It was a little celebration, but a bit of a thrill.  Just for ME?

There were "Happy Birthdays", stars, party hats, and candled cakes.  Cute.

While Carol sipped a perfect old fashioned champagne cocktail she checked the menu and ordered a steak.

Dick enjoyed a glass of champagne and also selected a steak.

While the birthday girl drank water and chose...

...the smoked salmon.  It was fabulous and so filling.

 We each chose a side - grilled tomatoes and steamed broccoli.
 
 But the best choice was the amazing sweet potato casserole.  Don't miss it - delicious.

 We passed on the standard birthday dessert and selected from the menu.  Carol had Ruth's Coffee with liqueurs and whipped cream piled on top, Dick had his favorite Crème Brulee, and I had "Duo Chocolate".  Oh, my Goodness, was it wonderful or what?
 
The little cup on the right is a cold chocolate soufflé topped with a pile of whipped cream.  On the left is a "volcano" cake served warm with a liquid chocolate center and topped with blackberries, raspberries and blueberries.  It is decorated with a vanilla cream sauce and dots of raspberry sauce.  I had to bring half of it home.

On the edge of the plate "Happy Birthday" was freshly written with dark chocolate.
 
What a special evening and wonderful dinner!  Thank you, Carol and Dick. 
We'll have to do it again next year! 
#   #   #


4 comments:

Carol said...

It's a date, dear Del!

Loretta said...

Oh my goodness....yes, indeed, a very, very special birthday dinner...I'm feeling quite full just reading about it...and the dessert! Wow! May your year be very special.

Loretta said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Quiltedtime said...

Happy Birthday, Del! Your dinner looks exquisite. Glad you had a wonderful time.