Thursday, September 4, 2014

Pictures from the past 09-04-14

I do love Road Trips and digital cameras have made them even more enjoyable.  Being able to edit the pictures and put them in albums to view on my computer screen is a continuing thrill.  Sometimes I pick an album of a trip and just live it all over again.  And sometimes I am looking for a picture and come across pictures that make me smile when I remember.  Here are a few....
 
One hot August Corky's parents wanted to go fishing and selected a fishing "camp" (read motel) in the area of Weaverville.  I went along in my own car with plans to drive on to Washington State for a visit with Mabel and other friends.  Of course I took sewing!  After all, I wasn't going to fish, I was just going to hang out with Corky while his parents fished.  I took a couple boxes of fabric and spent some time matching up selections to the focus fabric in the lower left.  This quilt had a deadline and I missed it and still haven't finished it.  Corky's parents never even saw a fish, but he and I had a good time just loafing around and walking on the grounds. 

This is a very large Russian olive tree.  Imported from Europe during the mid 1800s the trees have become a scourge in some places, but they are so beautiful against the blue sky or along the edge of a dark green forest.  This one was in Fort Collins, Colorado.
 
I miss lilacs - they were abundant in Portland, Oregon, where I spent most of my childhood.  When I see them along the way I have to stop and steal a sprig to brighten my life for a few days.  This is the way I usually have them - in a bottle in the cup holder of my car.  The fragrance lingers but briefly, but I breath in as much as I can before I have to return them to the earth.   This sprig came from a backyard in Butte, Montana.  It was hanging over the fence into an alley - it only took a minute to jump out with my clippers and be back in the car.  The lady had a whole tree full of blooms left. 
 
#   #   #

2 comments:

Elaine said...

I love road trips as well and thankfully our Aussie, Lizzy, travels well. We were in Weaversville years ago with friends-it was HOT. We drove to Eureka to get out of the heat and ate breakfast at The Samoan Cookhouse-liked it so much we spent the day on the coast and came back and ate an early dinner there. Our first guest speaker for our guild is coming in from Portland tomorrow (Helene Knott)and will stay with me a few days after the trunk show and workshop and we will be visiting Visions and The Oceanside Museum of Art. Would you like a few limes dropped off at Visions?

Mary Ann said...

We had a Russian Olive tree when I was a kid. It has the most wonderful aroma in the spring. I would plant one just for the smell. Happy Birthday by the way.