Sunday, October 5, 2014

Mary Mattimoe quilt in TCQC 10-05-14

This is the fourth and last of the quilts I purchased at the recent Visions Art Museum fund raiser, "Sip, Savor and Stroll".  When I first looked at this piece I didn't know what it depicted, thinking that it might be the cliffs on the coast of Kauai.    But I finally figured out that it is a gigantic wave.  I think that the two very straight white streaks in the wave are confusing.  If they were curved as the water is the overall effect would be better.  But the  quilting is wonderful, as is the fabric selection.  
 
"Ojali"  Mary Mattimoe  2014   12"x12"
Cotton fabric, cotton threads, cotton batting, machine stitched.
 
Tiny machine quilted "bubble" show texture from a distance and become bubbles close up.
 
This shows a close up of the water beneath the foam.
 
Mary chose to face the back.  You can really see the wave quilting here.
 
A rather inadequate label, sort of an after thought - needs a contact, at least.
 I don't know what ojali means, I tried quite a few languages, but the only one that gave me a translation was Swahili in which the word means "responsive".  Doesn't seem right to me!

2 comments:

Wil said...

I think the word is Ojala and that can be translated as 'I hope to God' or 'If only'. The original meaning is 'Oh Allah'.

Unknown said...

Such a beautiful quilt!!