Tuesday, February 17, 2015

One little block 02-17-15

Having not done much sewing for the past year I am inordinately proud of having completed a block for the outgoing Surfside Quilters Guild President's quilt.  The theme of the quilt, chosen by the outgoing President, is Hawaiian Christmas.  I have made many blocks for President's quilts in the past 30, or so, years and a number of them have been hats, starting with the first one in 1982.  All of the blocks have been small, this one is 5" finished.
 
 
My original intent was to fasten a very small silk poinsettia on the hat band, but I couldn't find one (although I know I have a garland of them somewhere), so I switched to tiny yoyos and think I like them better.

I'm not so sure of my applique skills these days, so I used Ruth McDowell''s piecing method, with which I am very familiar.   And I used the back side of the brim fabric for the inside of the brim.
 
Signature required, of course and this is how I always sign blocks.

3 comments:

Karen Rips said...

Great hat! No one will wonder who made it :)

Dolores said...

Cute!!

Loretta said...

Wonderful....the colors are fabulous! I'm pleased you sat down at the sewing machine again...perhaps we'll see another something next month! ;-)