Sunday, March 8, 2015

Another Charlotte Bird quilt in the Collection 03-08-15

I kept going back to this little quilt when it was hanging as part of an exhibit at Visions Art Museum in San Diego.  I'm sorry I can't do a better job of photographing the true colors, it is much more grey than blue. The artist's inspiration was pulling a word from the dictionary and creating a visual image based on the word. 
 
"Contortion"  Charlotte Bird - California  2011 12"W x 13.5"L
Hand dyed cotton fabrics, perle cotton, machine and hand stitching/quilting.
I like the way the lines do not meet - reminds me of what I come up with when I doodle, but I never thought of dividing it down the middle and shifting things around.
 
Lots of nice hand stitching, both running stitch and seed stitch using perle cotton.

I'm sure Charlotte has painted/dyed the background fabrics and also the red fabric.

The stitching shows on the back, no covering up for this artist.

A nice, clear label with all the pertinent info - including a contact - in case someone wants to see more of her work. 
#   #   #
 


1 comment:

Loretta said...

Lovely little quilt...I particularly like the hand stitching -- for me, it provides a little closer touch to the quilter.