Saturday, March 14, 2015

Wicked Desserts 03-14-15

I have been trying to lose some pounds which pretty much precludes having dessert.  Growing up I was one of those kids who refused to eat certain things (like liver) and adults were always luring me with dessert - "Eat your dinner and you can have dessert."  It usually worked and I would clean my plate (unless it was liver).  So, for 73 years (I don't remember anything before I was three) I have enjoyed dessert of some kind after lunch and dinner.  The food plan I am on doesn't even include fruit, which I yearn for.  I've gotten an occasional basket of blue berries and eaten them "plain so" (as my MIL used to say).  But when I went with two friends for an elegant lunch at Summit House in Fullerton this past week, I threw caution to the wind and ordered dessert. 
 
 
Two of us ordered the lemon tart which was perfection with a little pool of huckleberry sauce and a tiny mountain of whipped cream.   Not overly sweet, just a nice tart lemon taste - surely they use Myer lemons.  Yummmmmmm.
 

The third lady ordered the chocolate torte which she kindly let us taste - it was like eating a chocolate truffle from Harrod's in London.  The presentation was very fancy and I show two pictures because I can't adequately explain how they constructed this tower of chocolate.
 
The layers were cylindrical; they cut it in half from top to bottom  and propped one half cut side out against other half.  Then they drizzled it with rich chocolate sauce, added some sliced strawberries and some strawberry reduction and the little mountain of whipped cream.  The "flagpole" is a chocolate straw.  It was too much for my friend and she took half home to her husband.  What a nice person she is! 
 
Our lunches were a minor key - grilled salmon salad for two of us and a salad and French onion soup for the other lady.  Everything was delicious, but we were especially glad to have saved room for dessert!
#   #   #
 

2 comments:

Loretta said...

Good luck with the diet! I'm trying too, but it sure is DIFFICULT and slow seeing results!! Stay with it!

Sherrie Spangler said...

I'm drooling! Yes, you need dessert every now and then on your diet.