Sunday, June 14, 2015

Heather Dubreuil quilt from Fiberlandia auction 06-14-15

This was the hottest item at the auction and, I think, brought the highest price.  Heather has a similar piece (12" x 12") in the SAQA auction this coming fall. 
 
"Connectivity: Fort Clyde"  Heather Dubreuil -  Hudson QC, Canada 6"W x 8"L
Cotton fabrics, 40-weight thread.
 
Heather explains, "[this quilt] is based on a photo I took last June when my husband and I drove from Portland Maine up the coast to Bar Harbor.  We decided to visit Mohegan Island because of its history as an art colony, and to get there we took the ferry from Port Clyde, a tiny fishing village.  On the same trip we spent a couple nights in Boothbay Harbor, and my photo from that town inspired my donation to the SAQA auction this year." 
 
Heather's method is to draw the lines on Heat-Away stabilizer, tracing the line on the film with a marker, and then stitch through it to guide the quilting.

The hot palette takes its cue from a glorious dawn.
 

There is no label - because the quilts were matted and a paper label was attached to the back.  www.heatherdubreuil.com
 
#   #   #


1 comment:

Kathleen Probst said...

This was my favorite piece in the auction. It has a beautiful palette. The drawing affect of her black lines is inviting and the phone lines remind me of my tiny hometown in upstate New York.