Sunday, July 12, 2015

Martha Wolfe quilt from Fiberlandia auction 07-12-15

Sorry I have missed a few days.  I had to have an emergency root canal and things didn't go so well.  I am better now and hope to stop the pain meds at the same time I stop the antibiotics.

Martha  Wolfe does wonderful bird quilts, including this one with the New Zealand bird, Pukeko. Martha was in NZ early this year for a Quilt Symposium and enjoyed some sightseeing. She says that the wildlife was elusive, but the pukeko could sometimes be spotted scavenging in the fields.  This bird is in the same family as our coot (sometimes called mud hen) and the purple gallinule found in Florida. 

"New Zealand: Pukeko"  Martha Wolfe - Davis, CA 2015  8"W x 6"L
Hand painted and printed fabric made on a visit to New Zealand, strip-pieced  cottons, painted organza and hand-dyed silk charmeuse. 
Fused, raw-edge applique, machine and hand-stitched.  

Great feet! 

Colorful label with all the pertinent information.
#   #   #

6 comments:

Loretta said...

I can see him/her running over the leaves! Wonderful movement!

Beverly said...

I hope you get feeling better quickly, Del. like Loretta said, great movement in this one!

Unknown said...

I'm sorry to hear about your root canal. I hope you feel better soon. The Pukeko quilt is beautiful. Since I visited New Zealand last December I have been in love with all of that country's flora and fauna. Have you been there? It's such a wonderful place. I hope to go back soon, and luckily for me, my husband & I have dear friends who live there who we can stay with.

deb-of-pixeladies said...

Love Martha's quilt. A great addition to your collection. Get well soon!

Martha Wolfe said...

Thanks for supporting SAQA and sharing my work, Del! It was nice to meet you in Portland. I hope you are feeling much better soon!
-Martha

Kathleen Probst said...

So sorry to hear of your emergency root canal. They are no picnic. I hope you are done with meds now and and right as rain.

Glad your neighborhood trees dodged the chainsaw.