Saturday, March 26, 2016

Saturday Stories 03-26-16


Diane graduated from high school in 1956, so this year will be the 60th reunion of the class.  She has only been to two reunions in all these years.  And having moved away to California right out of school she has no contacts with people “back home”.  She wonders why she should attend this reunion.  
In 1971 she attended the 15th reunion.  Her male cousin Hank graduated the year after Diane and played basketball with many of the guys in her class.  So he went with her to connect with those old team mates.  What the two hadn’t thought about was that Hank had legally changed his last name to that of his stepfather who had raised him since he was an infant and now Diane and Hank shared a last name.  The gossip was that Diane and Hank had married and he changed his name.  They finally got that straightened out, but there are probably still people who believe it. 
Ten years later Diane attended the 25th reunion.  Although she knew a few people, she recognized no one.  It was a bit of a downer.  So, what would it be like at the 60th?  Decision postponed – the reunion is in July.     
#   #   #

2 comments:

Quiltedtime said...

You have piqued my curiosity. I am a bit like Diane. High school reunions are mystifying to me. I still keep in touch with the friends whom I liked, anyway, so a reunion is maybe not so necessary.

Loretta said...

I am a Diane too....except I never attended any reunions...when you enter HS in the middle of your sophomore year after spending many years traveling the east coast and settling perhaps a year or so at each arrival point, friendships are few...even when you spend 2-1/2 years in on HS. No reunions for me. Although I sometimes think it might be fun just to peak to see who is still around! I wonder if Diane will attend???!!!! Thanks for another intriguing Saturday story!