Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Road Trip to Maine - Still rolling along 08-17-16

I have to look at the calendar to  see what day of the week it is!  There is a sameness, you know.  I guess I would read someone's travel blog to see if something exciting happens.  But you may want to stop now, because nothing exciting has happened yet on this road trip.  I got off the highway in Salina, KS, to find a quilt shop.  With the help of the telephone ap "WAZE" I found the address, but there was no sign of a quilt shop.  It gave me a chance to see the sad state of downtown Salina, which is like so many downtown areas across the country.  There are boarded up windows, lots of for rent or lease signs, and nobody on the sidewalks.  Anyway, I retraced my route and got back on I-70.  I am in Independence, MO, tonight where it was 93F at 6pm and a little more humid than Colby, KS, but not bad.

There have been a number of times that I felt that I was going to drive off the edge of the earth.  Just looks like a road to nowhere. 
 
There are passing cars to look at - or cars that I am passing.

There are quite a few Wind Farms in Kansas - these are the huge turbines and they were not moving very much.

And there are trucks that pass, or, more likely, that I pass.

There are occasional clumps of cottonwood trees growing in a streambed

I had just been thinking about Ruth McDowell when I saw this off ramp sign.  Spooky.

This is my lap.  I ought to put this picture on the refrigerator door.  Or maybe on the wall over the bathroom scales.  This was an accidental picture - made me laugh.

And then I arrived  in Kansas City, MO, where the traffic signs are notoriously misleading.  Especially trying to follow I-70 over the river.
 
That white arrow that points straight up is I-70 and I carefully lined up in the center lane.  But the center lane divides and I divided the wrong way and ended up going north instead of east.  So, I got off at the next exit, went under the highway, took the ramp going back the other direction.  Over the bridge back into Kansas where I took the next off ramp and went over the highway and back on the onramp going east.  This time I got in the right lane and made it onto I-70.  I'm sure that most of you will be familiar with this exercise done somewhere in the world.  I  believe I did it once before, maybe in 2011 when I drove this route.  I had not however, done it in rush hour traffic at 5:15pm.  Not as bad as the 405 in Los Angeles, but bad enough.  

There is Kansas City, MO, on the other side of the Missouri River.  The traffic wasn't so bad until I got on the other side of downtown, then it was stop and go almost to Independence, only 17 miles inside the Missouri border. 
 
Tomorrow, Missouri and Illinois, maybe even Indiana.  Just six days left
#   #   #


3 comments:

Rayna said...

You never fail to amaze me with your road trips. How you can do all that driving without company is beyond my comprehension. You are one brave, gutsy woman!! I wouldnt dream of driving to Florida by myself, and it's only 1500 miles. Bravo!

Rebecca said...

The last time I went through Kansas City, it was rush hour (where does that name come from?) and during a snow thunderstorm! Glad I didn't have any missed exits.

Rayna's comment makes me wonder if you listen to books on tape, or anything? Vicki Welsh listens to books while long-arming, and gives us a review each month. There seems to be an astounding variety, both in content and quality.

Loretta said...

Bravo, you're doing just fine! You even went on a little adventure on your way! My missed turns, usually more than just a few on a long drive, become my adventures! I do enjoy them most of the time. Stay well.