Sunday, July 16, 2017

Latest addition to TCQC 07-16-17

Visions Art Museum: Contemporary Quilts + Textiles opened new exhibits yesterday and I drove down for the opening reception.  Most of the artists were there and there was a nice crowd for the evening.  The exhibits are:
 "Funny Bones" with quilts by David Charity, Jamie Fingal, Wendy Huhn, Nancy Lemke, Pam RuBert, Kathy Weaver.
A Solo Exhibit by Kathy Nida
"Female Folktales" by Charlotte Bird
"Masquerade"  Member's Challenge (14"hx10"w)

I think the Funny Bones quilts are witty rather than "funny", but some do make me smile broadly.  They show vastly different design and construction techniques and are created by accomplished artists.  Pam's quilts always make me smile, she has such a delightfully quirky imagination.  David's cartoons feature a pet Basenji who is a wry sort of character who has many adventures.  Nancy's furry creatures in clothes are clever and sentimental.  I was pleased to meet Wendy Huhn, one of her small pieces is in TCQC and it is one of the few pieces that is mounted on a board and cannot be rolled.  She mounts or frames all her small works to take them out of the realm of pot holders, something now done by many artists who produce small works. Charlotte has gone in an entirely new direction and her five pieces are large and thought provoking.  She plans to continue with this new series.  Seeing Kathy Nida's work filling the Anya gallery is astounding; it is all so complex and beautifully done.  Her technique is astounding (I follow her blog) and the completed pieces are large and "in your face".  I greatly admire them, but I don't think I could live with them on my walls.  However, she does sometimes make small animal pieces and I bought one today.  Here is one of her little owls that is now in TCQC. 

"Owl 2.0 Bird #18"  Kathy Nida - El Cajon, CA  2015  16.75"w x 10.50"l
Cotton fabric, fusible, machine appliqued and quilted. 

Wonderful eyes and beak.

How about these feet?  Maybe I should have saved the image for Friday Feet!

On the back she has used a print from her stash with a matching sleeve.

A label that gives several ways to contact the artist. 
#   #   #

1 comment:

Loretta said...

A fun little quilt...congratulations on adding it to your collection.
I sure wish I were closer to Visions....the museum is doing many, many wonderful exhibits and supporting many fine, fine quilters. Thank you all for being there!