Monday, July 17, 2017

Things Change 07-17-17

It is, I suppose, a part of aging when things seem to change too fast to keep up with them.  Living in a suburban town, I rarely am out among the movers and shakers of the world.  The world moves outside my safe haven in Placentia, California.  I do get out, but not usually to urban places.  I have a friend whose idea of vacation is to be in a city with music, fine dining, museums, art galleries... well, all that.  Whereas my idea of vacation is away from all of that and in a place with quiet, trees, flowers, birds, animals, open skies, mountains or seashores.  Lately I have been exposed to some more urban adventures which can be very tiring.  Some are interesting, some just mystifying.  I'll start a recurring series about these changes I observe or that impact my life. 

CELL PHONES   They are everywhere, aren't they?  How frightening it is to see people walking down the street and stepping off a curb without looking up from their phones.  And then there are times that one wonders who they are talking to.  Like this postman talking to the mailbox.  I can only guess that he has a wire to his phone.  Or maybe he really is talking to the mailbox.  How can one tell? 
 
 
TRAFFIC  During my four hour drive to San Diego on Saturday I thought about how much heavier the traffic is these days.  I expected the drive to be slow on Saturday, it was a glorious weekend and there were many events in SDiego including the Gay Pride parade which I understand is the biggest anywhere.  But I don't think that has anything to do with drivers passing on the right on the shoulder, something that occurred more than once this trip.  So, use caution, watch for illegal passing and, especially, motorcycles who seem to drive wherever they choose. 
 
#   #   #
 

5 comments:

Loretta said...

Thank you Del for your sharing the latest observances of modern life! Sometimes I think if the sky turned green, and the clouds yellow many folks would never notice as they are on their phones or in their cars not observing their environment at all! What do you think would happen and who would notice if the birds no longer sang, the grass no longer grew, trees no long touched the sky, water no longer trickled in the creek? My world would be quite empty, but for many nowadays, I think would not notice at all. I am so very sorry for those folks -- missing so much of our beautiful world.

Sherrie Spangler said...

I totally agree with you on all points. My idea of vacation is big skies, beautiful scenery, a cozy book store and a quiet coffee shop. Traffic -- horrible here in the Northwest. I dread getting on I-5 anymore and will do anything to avoid it.

Rebecca said...

I have read of an urban person who plays "crazy or 'Bluetooth'?"...like your mailman there. An entertainment while at a sidewalk cafe.

sonja said...

Ditto Sherrie and Loretta! I feel sorry for those who peck at the phone in their palm and miss the real deal! I call it PPP syndrome ! Nature with all her beauty to refresh, restore and inspire does wonders for all people who pay attention!!

Rayna said...

LOL - a decade or so ago, I was in line in Home Depot. Behind me was a man talking to himself (or so it appeared). I finally realized he had a phone in his pocket and a wire in his ear. He was an early adopter, but I thought he was an escapee from the loony bin.

As far as drivers - they are all nuts! I thought NJ was bad, but it's just more crowded than other states. No matter where you go, drivers are crazy and rude. And in Florida, they stop at green lights. Don't ask!