Sunday, July 15, 2018

Empty Spools Seminars at Asilomar 07-15-18

This is a re-posting from March 2010 .   It is so fun to look at this quilt and remember all my Asilomar classes and teachers and fellow students.   I've gone to classes for 27  years, sometimes just one session, but frequently two sessions.  Tried three sessions once, but it almost did me in! 

25th Anniv. of Empty Spools Seminars 03-22-10

Empty Spools Seminars is celebrating 25 years of great teachers, students and friendships. As part of the celebration the three women who run the seminars, Diana McClun, Suzanne Cox and Gayle Wells asked all those who have taught over the years to send spool blocks to create some anniversary quilts. Six quilts were created with the help of some of the teachers and many friends. At each of this year's five sessions all the attendees names are put in a box for a drawing for one of the quilts. The winner pulls a slip a paper with the name of the quilt she has won. At the end of the fifth session in June the names of all of the 2010 attendees will go in a box and a name pulled to win the sixth quilt.
On the last night of the first week I attended (Session III) I was the winner and the quilt I won is "Freddy's Polka Dots". So named because when the blocks were divided up Freddy Moran took this set home and assembled this quilt. I think it is spectacular and I feel very, very lucky. These pictures were taken at the end of Session IV when the quilts were taken down from where they hung over the edge of the balcony and placed on the empty chairs in Merrill Hall so all could see them close up. Not the best situation for photography. I had someone hold up the quilt for an all over shot and I took individual blocks while it was draped on the chairs. I cannot identify the makers of all the blocks. The one on the bottom row with the rainbow flying geese is NOT Caryl Bryer Fallert - she has not taught at Asilomar that I know of. But I cannot tell you whose contribution it is. (Addendum: I am wrong! Caryl taught a computer aided design class several yearss ago - but is still is not her block!! She will also be teaching in 2011. For a list of the teachers for 2011 go tohttp://www.emptyspoolsseminars.com/Teachers2011.html)
Here are the blocks I can attribute correctly.
Top left: Elizabeth Spanning Bottom right: Becky Goldsmith

Top: Gai Perry Bottom: Dale FlemingTop left: Freddy Moran Top right: Kathie Pasquini Masopust 
Bottom left: Peggy Martin Bottom right: Sylvia Einstein


This elaborate block was made by Louisa Smith.


Here is a better image of Sylvia Einstein's block with one by Dale Fleming on the right.





Freddy Moran's colorful block.

#   #   #

.

2 comments:

Loretta said...

Wonderful women quilt! And, through quilting, I've met and know and have become acquainted with many, many of them. Thank you so much wonderful woman.

Kathleen Fields said...

Caryl has taught at Asilomar. I don't know about recently because I haven't been for many years, but I took an incredible class with her sometime in the late 1990's. One of the best classes I ever took! If Idaho weren't so far away, and retirement hadn't limited my expendable income so drastically, I'd still be taking classes every year, sure do miss it. You mentioned that you don't get many messages, which surprises me, since I love reading your blog, catching up with your collection, perusing your pictures (you have a great eye), and enjoying your observations. Have a wonderful week!