Monday, March 22, 2010

25th Anniv. of Empty Spools Seminars 03-22-10

Empty Spools Seminars is celebrating 25 years of great teachers, students and friendships. As part of the celebration the three women who run the seminars, Diana McClun, Suzanne Cox and Gayle Wells asked all those who have taught over the years to send spool blocks to create some anniversary quilts. Six quilts were created with the help of some of the teachers and many friends. At each of this year's five sessions all the attendees names are put in a box for a drawing for one of the quilts. The winner pulls a slip a paper with the name of the quilt she has won. At the end of the fifth session in June the names of all of the 2010 attendees will go in a box and a name pulled to win the sixth quilt.
On the last night of the first week I attended (Session III) I was the winner and the quilt I won is "Freddy's Polka Dots". So named because when the blocks were divided up Freddy Moran took this set home and assembled this quilt. I think it is spectacular and I feel very, very lucky. These pictures were taken at the end of Session IV when the quilts were taken down from where they hung over the edge of the balcony and placed on the empty chairs in Merrill Hall so all could see them close up. Not the best situation for photography. I had someone hold up the quilt for an all over shot and I took individual blocks while it was draped on the chairs. I cannot identify the makers of all the blocks. The one on the bottom row with the rainbow flying geese is NOT Caryl Bryer Fallert - she has not taught at Asilomar that I know of. But I cannot tell you whose contribution it is. (Addendum: I am wrong! Caryl taught a computer aided design class several yearss ago - but is still is not her block!! She will also be teaching in 2011. For a list of the teachers for 2011 go to http://www.emptyspoolsseminars.com/Teachers2011.html)
Here are the blocks I can attribute correctly.

Top left: Elizabeth Spanning Bottom right: Becky Goldsmith


Top: Gai Perry Bottom: Dale Fleming


Top left: Freddy Moran Top right: Kathie Pasquini Masopust
Bottom left: Peggy Martin Bottom right: Sylvia Einstein


This elaborate block was made by Louisa Smith.


Here is a better image of Sylvia Einstein's block with one by Dale Fleming on the right.




Freddy Moran's colorful block.


After the final drawing the winners will receive their quilts.

Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Suzanne Kistler said...

Hi Del,
Actually, Caryl Bryer Fallert HAS taught at Empty Spools. She taught a computer design manipulation class a few years ago. I didn't take it, but I had friends in her class.

Congratulations on winning the quilt!! Two friends who were there last week reported on your luck... and their envy. :) Enjoy!!!

Patty ♣ said...

WOW! I am so happy that you were the winner!! This is such a fun quilt!!!
I hope I am able to see it up close sometime!! Yay for you!!

Gerrie said...

I took a class from Caryl at Asilomar many years ago. This is a fabulous quilt. I think it is very fitting that you won this!!

Christine Thresh said...

Lucky you. It is great that you won the quilt. It can go in the collection to be shared with others.

Corky said...

Congratulations on winning! I can't think of a more worthy winner. What a great addition to the Thomas quilt collection.

As others have said Caryl has taught a couple of times. I took her class one year (it wasn't computer based either) and it wasn't the best class for me at the time. The class had me in tears a couple of times!

Rayna said...

What a happy, delightful addition to your collection! This bright quilt makes me smile and will do the same for you, I am sure!