Monday, July 2, 2018

July - Time for the mimosa trees to bloom 07-02-18

I don't remember seeing mimosa trees until I was an adult and moved to SCalifornia.  Although my sister and I came down from Portland about every other summer to see our paternal grandparents, we always came the last half of August and went home just after Labor Day.  So, the glorious mimosas blooming in July were a surprise when I moved to Arcadia in 1957.  
Their blooming closely follows and sometimes overlaps that of the jacaranda trees. 

In 1974 Floyd and I planted a mimosa in front of the townhouse in Fullerton where we lived for 16 years.  It was glorious when covered with those pink powder puffs, especially when viewed from the upstairs bedroom window. 

Mimosas shed something constantly (tiny leaves, blossoms, pods), but Floyd was always out there cleaning the debris from the driveway.  It was an exercise he enjoyed, I guess, just like he enjoyed vacuuming.  His odd quirk and my saving grace! 
 

The pods rattle in the breeze, reminding me of the sound of a rocky stream.  Very relaxing. 

#   #   #

No comments: