Saturday, December 29, 2018

Friday Food 12-28-18

Eating breakfast out is a special occasion for me, maybe because I am such a night owl that breakfast is usual brunch or lunch at my house.  As a child my mother was gone by the time I was ready for school and I wouldn't eat until lunchtime at school.  But I actually like breakfast foods, just not before 9am!  Recently my friend Carol and I met for brunch at 10am at the Original Pancake House in Placentia.  It used to be located in Yorba Linda, but the building was re-purposed and the restaurant had to move.  It took them over two years to find a new location, refit it, get approvals from the city, and reopen this fall.  It is a different space, but with the same white chairs and tables and wall decorations.  I heard someone complain that they were using the "same old furniture", but I rather like having it more like the old place.  My go-to order is always a Dutch baby - oh-so-good. 

Carol had corn cakes and an egg.  We shared an order of bacon - crisp. 

Here is the fresh Dutch baby before I started garnishing it. 

Here is the Dutch baby garnished with lashings of fresh lemon juice and spoonsful of powder sugar. 

I had to take a picture of the next table where they had a plate with EIGHT large pancakes.  This tall, skinny guy was sitting with two tall, skinny girls and they each had a plateful of eggs and meats.  AND the pancakes.  Maybe all they eat all day is breakfast/brunch and that keeps them so thin.  I didn't look to see if they had eaten everything, but I suspect they had.  The other two people in the picture were at the next table, I didn't check out their food. 

#   #   #

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

What timing! I finally made it to the Original Pancake House in Poway this week! I woke up much too early one day, and figured we could get in without a wait (important, as hubby isn't a pancake eater, nor any good at waiting). I had the apple pancake, and brought half of it home! (Unusual for me)

In Minnesota, there was a chain called Sytje's Pannekoeken House (Huis?). Pannekoeken is the word for the oven-puffed pancake called a Dutch baby. When you ordered one, they would rush it to your table, chanting "pannekoeken."