Thursday, August 15, 2019

More trees 08-15-19

I expect you all know of my affinity for trees.   It is a lifelong state from spending most of my childhood in the outskirts of Portland, Oregon, which at that time had lots of trees and tree lots.  I do feel at home in the woods. 

A mixed wood of cedar and Douglas fir. 

Cedar trees.

On this latest Road Trip most of the logging trucks I saw were full of trees of about the same diameter, this one in Washington state was an exception.  Growing up we saw trucks with huge logs, sometimes only one great tree was enough for a load.  Now we are into second and third growth forests where all the trees have grown at the same rate and so are about the same size.  

#   #   #

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I'm right there with you on feeling comfortable in trees. I love pictures of the Hoh rain forest. And I remember those huge logs on trucks! Your explanation of the same-size trees makes sense.

Recently, walking in my neighborhood, I got near some tall evergreens. I noticed the sound of the wind soughing in them...so familiar from childhood; so rare now. I walked a few feet away, and the rustle of palm trees took over. That's my new normal.

Martha Ginn said...

Del, I loved reading about your trees--aren't they just the most awesome creations??!! I too have a special affinity for them; my yard has many huge oaks and pines, but nothing as massive as what you have in the Pacific Northwest. I have a granddaughter who has recently moved to the Seattle area and I am planning to visit. My husband and I made two trips to show me the area where he had been stationed in the Navy in 1950s (Bainbridge Island on the Puget Sound).
Let me recommend a book I read recently--Harry's Trees--fiction with a little fantasy, but heavily involved with trees!