Thursday, March 19, 2020

Thursday Thoughts 03-19-20

I haven't done "Thursday Thoughts" before.  Thursday Threads, but that isn't apropos of this subject.  I suppose that all the talk about downsizing, cleaning out, culling, etc., has made me think lately of the things in my life that I save and treasure.  I am a confirmed pack rat and hate to dispose of anything that I might someday use or that I just keep because I like it.  I know quilters who are always trying to use up their "stash" and I don't understand that.  My fabric library is a treasure and if I use it up, I won't have it anymore!!  Of course, I do use fabric from the library, but not with the thought that I will use it all up.  Horrors!

But some things I use almost every day are things that I have had for over fifty years.  I'll take some pictures now and then to share with you.  I won't show my ratty towels - why do people buy new towels every year?  Why to do they have to match the bathroom?   Some of mine are from the early 70s and they are perfectly okay to dry off my body.  Or KoKo's. Or my car.  

Here is a pot that was old when I acquired it.  I worked at the Los Angeles County Department of Communications in 1959 and moved from my grandmother's house to a furnished apartment in Pasadena.   I had become friends with my boss Alice Lieb who was the head of communications.  She was ANCIENT, probably in her late 40s, and she was newly divorced (rather shocking then) and moving.  She kindly gave me some pots and pans, they weren't supplied with the apartment.  One is a 2 quart Revereware copper bottom stainless steel pot.   While she owned it the handle had come off and someone welded it back on.  For all these years it has been my "primary" pot for just about everything.  I have larger and smaller pieces, but this one seems to be the one that is most versatile.  I couldn't live without it!!  It is something over 60 years old!  

  PICTURES  WON"T LOAD _ CHECK LATER  DEL

1 comment:

Sherrie Spangler said...

Speaking of old towels, my daughter collects colorful vintage towels from thrift stores and sells them on Etsy for a lot of money!