Monday, September 14, 2020

It seems too early, but the pomegranates have formed and are plumping out every day.  They haven't turned red yet, but this tree in my neighborhood promises a bumper crop.  One a year is about all I can handle and even then the only thing I can do with it is scrape it out and put it in a salad.  


 



During WWII my sister and I lived with our paternal grandparents in Los Angeles.  Their property backed up on an alley for access to the garage and across the alley was a property with a wire fence and a pomegranate tree.  I now believe that the hole at the bottom of the fence was intentional so that the neighborhood kids could reach under to "steal" the fruit.  There was always fruit on the ground near the hole!  With grandmother and aunt we made pomegranate jelly.  It was a huge job and involved a cone shaped sieve and cotton bag to squeeze the juice out of the seeds.  The jelly was a gorgeous clear red and I thought it was the very best jelly ever.   But not enough for me to ever go to all that work to make some these days.  

#   #   #

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

My brother was reminiscing about pickles our mother made. Although they were delicious, they involved changing a sugar bath daily for a week. So we all remember them fondly, but not enough to ever make them!

It was nice to "see" you at Friendship Guild tonight.

Mary Ann said...

We had a quince bush and one year it yielded enough to make quince jelly. I made it and ended up throwing it all out, it was awful. Never had pomegranate jelly but it sounds like a lot of work also.