Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Just a year ago. 01-12-21

Just a year ago today I was finishing this quilt "Palms" for an exhibit at Oceanside Museum of Art; an exhibit that is still hanging even though the museum is closed to visitors.  It is a very nice exhibit and it is sad that so few people have been able to enjoy it.  
"Palms"  Del Thomas  2019  39"W X 58"L
Cotton fabrics, batting, and thread.
Fused applique.  

These pictures are not in any order because I am unable to move them now.  Every use of Blogger is an adventure these days.  Change, change, change. 

Naturally, KoKo was a big help!  Keeping his ears from the needle going up and down kept me alert.  I guess it is just a demand for attention and I have to restrict him to his chair at times. 


I might have cut larger pieces for the fused fronds, but I wanted them to be many different fabrics.  Some came from my tray of pre-fused fabrics from previous projects, but I had to fuse and cut more.  Now I have  an overflowing tray of pre-fused greenish fabrics. 

I was surprised that I didn't need to prepare many additional brown fabrics.  When have I used brown fabrics before?  Can't remember.  

In contrast with the front I used a very busy tropical print with birds on the back. 
When the quilt comes home I will replace the red sleeve.  I was amazed that when the quilt is hanging on a white wall the red actually shows through to the front. 

Here the layers are laid out for basting.  I still use the basting "gun" that puts little plastic hooks through all the layers.  I know few people use it these days and I suppose I will some day run out of those little plastic bits and will not be able to buy any more.  Guess I will need to go back to either thread or safety pin basting.  

I have done very little quilt making during the pandemic.  I do have three finished tops that need to be basted and quilted, but don't seem to be able to find the get-up-and-go it takes to start them.  Maybe next week!  

#   #   #


1 comment:

D.A. Wolf said...

Your palms quilt – just stunning!