Sunday, January 10, 2021

Elizabeth Barton quilt in TCQC 01-10-21

Over the years I have tried to post a quilt from the Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection (TCQC) on Sundays.  But I've let that slide recently.  So, maybe I need to take up that practice again.  This Elizabeth Barton quilt is one of half a dozen of her works in the Collection and I currently have it hanging in the family room where I see it from my recliner.  It is a calm quilt, something I need in my life these days.  

 THE GATEHOUSE Elizabeth Barton - Athens, Georgia 37” W x 27” L ©2005

Using photographs and memories of her childhood in England, Elizabeth created this image which suggests the gatehouse of a great estate. The fabrics she dyes, paints, screens, stamps and discharges, give the scene a dreamlike elegance and the yellow trees mark the time as autumn. This piece started out as a much larger quilt which Elizabeth felt needed cropping and it works as a more intimate view of a timeless English estate. Hand dyed, painted, stamped, screened, discharged fabrics. Cotton, silk, rayon, wool, furnishing fabrics. Machine raw edge and turned applique, machine piecing and quilting.

One special thing about this quilt is the fence, which Elizabeth has used in several quilts. It is, I believe, a silk screen and lends itself to many different applications, but it is especially nice as the fence in this quilt.
#   #   #

3 comments:

Loretta said...

How fortunate to have this beautiful quilt hanging in your home to see regularly! It is magnificent in the photo....must be ever so much more on your wall. I've been slowly getting back to my sewing machine...why is it so hard to concentrate...to stay in place long enough to thread a needle!? I do hope after the 20th all of us can settle down and take up time with an important project of our own! Take care and stay well.

Kay Taylor said...

That is so beautiful! I have long admired Elizabeth's work. I hope you and KoKo are doing well.

abelian said...

It's beautiful! I hope everybody clicked on the image to open it, and see the whole quilt. Hugs to you and Koko. Dottie