Tuesday, May 25, 2021

June Underwood quilt from TCQC 05-24-21

I failed to post a quilt from the Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection last evening, Sunday, as I had planned to do.  Just got so interested in the strange wood planks, I forgot.  Refer back to the comments on yesterdays post to see more information about this product.  Interesting.  I hope to take another picture tomorrow morning, if the planks are still there.  


"Crowsline"  June Underwood (Portland, OR) 2002  45"W X 20.25"L
This is whole cloth quilt using June's hand dyed and painted fabrics.  The crows are painted using fabric paints and the line is stitched.  

I sometimes hang this quilt backwards so I can enjoy the wild fabric on the back.  Some fabric dyers/painters recycle the fabric that covers their table under the fabric they are working on.  And that is what you see on the back of June's quilt - experimental strokes and "bleed through".  

I frequently mark the measurements on the label so that I don't have to keep measuring the quilt every time it goes out to exhibit.  June printed the label and I wrote the figures. 

When the quilt arrived in the mail and I hung it on the wall I was skeptical about this crow, how unlikely it is.  However, later I was watching the crows playing in the water along the gutter across the street and, lo and behold, there was this same crow on the curb complaining to his fellows.  He looked just like this, hump backed and screeching.  

#   #   #

 

No comments: