Tuesday, June 22, 2021

More Flowers - TCQC

I do love Monkey Paw plants and the red ones are especially nice, although they come in a number of different colors - yellow, white, rusty brown, and more. 
The flowers before they open do look a little like a monkey's paw. 

The base of the plant is spikey leaves with the flowers stalks growing sometimes to 4 or 5 feet tall.  

At the top right is a side view of the opened blossom. 

And here is one fully open - rather star like, but only about half inch in diameter. 


My friend Liz came today and helped me roll, cover, and store some of the TCQC quilts.  They have been spread out on the guest room bed because my hands are not strong enough to roll a stack of four or five together.  Because of health problems in her family she has not been free to come for some months.  We had a little visit over Starbuck's lattes and then spend a couple hours sorting, rolling, covering, tagging, and storing the quilts.  They are in several places in the house.

On the shelf in the guest room closet.

On the top shelf of my fabric storage racks. 

Each roll has a tag showing what quilts are inside, but there is no order to the storage.  We put them where they fit.  At one time we tried keeping a log of where everything is, but when the quilts are moved around a lot that is a very time consuming job.  What needs to be done is clean out a spare bedroom and put racks up to hold all 370+ quilts.  Right now I don't have the energy and I would need someone to "scribe" for me.  Doing an inventory at the same time would be practical, but very time consuming.  I recently discovered a quilt that I added to the Collection about four years ago that somehow did not get into the Excel document.  Fortunately I am an old fashioned person and also keep paper files on every quilt.  Guess I don't completely trust computers, and probably never will! 
 
#   #   #


 

3 comments:

Mary Ann said...

I hear you. This week was clean out time in my house. I can't fit anymore finished pieces in my cedar chest. So the culling process has begun. I ask myself if I want anyone to know I did that. A few did not pass muster. And the garbage truck just did a pickup. The question is what happens to them after I go? My family gets first choice, then my critique group ladies get a chance. I think anything left may go to the Zanesville Museum of Art or to the Ohio Craft Museum. I could say the Cleveland Museum of Art but they are so set against quilts it's bizarre. Our Textile Art Alliance wanted to purchase a Dorothy Caldwell piece for the Museum and they didn't want it. Go figure. Just proves that some curators have no clue.

abelian said...

As far as the things I make, I figure that I had the pleasure of making them, and won't worry about what happens to them when I'm gone. I already went through the trauma of rapid downsizing when I unexpectedly had to move across the country with my ill husband. But I have more things currently marooned at our vacation home, whose fate I'd like to have more control over. For example, I have dozens of vintage 10-cent needlework books.

You're right not to trust computers, Del! I was a computer programmer for years, and I don't trust either the hardware or the software. Every hard drive will eventually fail, and should get backed up to an external drive. Every piece of software has still another undiscovered bug. But paper is also fragile, so I keep both digital and paper copies of everything. Dottie

Mary Ann said...

When I worked our standard was a daily backup and then a weekly backup that was stored offsite. I have a backup on my computer because it sometimes sends work off to the ether! Macs never used to do that but since they invented the cloud it has a mind of it's own. I distrust working in the "cloud". They said the Titanic was unsinkable and we all know how that worked out!
You're right not to worry about where your work goes after you pass. My family has inquired about my wishes which indicates they at least think my work has value.