Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Sewing - Full Moon 06-23-21

A busy day!   I drove down to Anaheim with some books for the 2nd hand book shop - Bookman on Katella.  I already had five small boxes of books in the car and I added two more.  There are many more left in various rooms.  He only gave me credit for about half of them and said he could keep the others for his "dollar shelves", so I said "sure", because I didn't want to take them home and don't know if the library volunteer book shop is taking books now.  Trouble is, I already miss all those books I have already read, some of them twice.

Quite near the Bookman is the one remaining quilt shop in Orange County, that I know of anyway, - Orange Quilting Bee.  So, I stopped there for some batting.  I am about to quilt the little houses quilt I made last spring/summer and thought I had all the dimensions worked out.  WRONG!  The yardage for the backing is 42" and the quilt top is 45"!  I hadn't thought that I would need to add to the back, which is a directional pattern.  The best thing to do would be to construct some more house blocks and put them in a vertical row on the back.  Do I want to spend the time doing that?  Don't know.  

Also the Quilter's Dream batting I had set aside is neither long enough or wide enough!  Hence the stop at OQBee today.  They don't carry Quilter's Dream but JoAnn's does.  However, I want to support the quilt shop so I will use Warm and Natural. 

I was pleasantly surprised that the clerk put in a piece of the label - thoughtful. 


On our walk this evening about 8pm the almost full moon was so bright I had to take a picture.  It doesn't look bright here, however.  Can you even see it on the right side about a third of the way from the top?   Tomorrow night is the full moon, maybe I will try for a better image. 
#   #   #.


 

4 comments:

Mary Ann said...

It's the strawberry moon! Sounds delicious.

Rebecca said...

It's very clear, but a bit distorted. Here, it was playing Hide and Seek among patchy clouds (we actually got a few minutes of rain yesterday!)

As for expanding the backing, perhaps you could put in a plain strip rather than a pieced one. A house would be darling on the label!

Carol said...

Good day! I saw the moon too, and look forward to it tonight. Thanks for the reminder.

Martha Ginn said...

I love Warm and Natural batting. I'm eager to see your house quilt. Yes, frustrating when the backing is too narrow! Batting is easy to piece with iron-on interfacing, but the backing is a different story.