Sunday, October 31, 2021

Halloween 10-31-21

Lots of pictures tonight.  First of some decorations in the neighborhood.  Not so many this year, but they all went up early in the month.  

I posted an image of this guy on Oct 4th when he first appeared.  He is 12 - 15 feet tall.  I have added KoKo to this picture to provide a comparison.

Since that first picture this unfortunate child was added.  A little too creepy for me, but not as bad as a whole yard full of huge skeletons all the way down to cat and dog skeletons smaller than KoKo.  Br-r-r-r-r!

And here is KoKo with the skeleton's foot - about the same size!

Three houses north of us there is this skeleton family roasting marshmallows.  Again we have a child skeleton on someone's knee.  

At night there are blue lights and blazing coals (lights). 

This guy looks too happy to be a ghost.  The black bump at the bottom is a giant inflated spider.  Fortunately not lit so he isn't terribly scary. 

I like this row of "The Scream" ghosts made of corrugated fencing. 

Here are some of the skeleton animals.

Who appear in the front yard of this over-the-top display.

We don't usually do Halloween.  Just leave all the lights off until the Tricker-Treaters have finished their rounds.  However, this year some neighbors arranged a parade and asked us to set up a table on our driveway and greet the kids with treats.  I hauled out a chair and a bowl of quarters. KoKo wore his bunny ears, some of the time.  Great crowd of kids and parents, but they preferred the other side of the street and I only gave out 24 quarters.  NO leftover candy.  I always preferred coins over candy when I was a kid.  Of course, back then it was nickels or dimes.
They all gathered at the southern end of the street - SO many!

Neighbor Don led the parade in his Jeep.  Don't understand why, but he backed up all the way - at least to the corner five houses away.
Lots of costumes, even a dinosaur.  And see that tiny guy in blue at the far left - he was determined to walk/run by himself, but his dad was running close behind. 

This blue gal is one of those wind blown creatures used to attract attention at new businesses - they wave their arms and bounce on their skinny legs.  In the foreground is Muttley the dog who is always walked without a lease.  I am afraid someday a coyote will jump out and nab him for breakfast.  

The crowd in the cul de sac across the street, they were giving out candy by the handsful.  In the background one neighbor has put up a bounce house, but I didn't see anyone using it.  In costume?  Nooooo.  

Here is KoKo in his bunny ears.  He wouldn't wear them for very long, nor would he sit still for this picture. 

I had better luck with his back view. 

I think we will go back to no lights next year.  This was very tiring. 

#   #   #





3 comments:

Loretta said...

No lights and drapes drawn that's my idea of a fun and healthy children's holiday! The school at the foot of my street no longer gathers the population of the school on Halloween, so very few youngsters both to come up the street anymore....that's fine with me. I loved the idea of a table and chair for greeting the youngsters....a more sane way to celebrate! Of course, KoKo was adorable with his festive years! Take care, stay well.

Rebecca said...

I heard something about those 12-foot skeletons; either it was the most popular decoration this year, or it was among the decorations stolen(!) from a house. With the smaller one being upside down, my thought was not a child, but a puppet.

It looks like your neighborhood is being proactive on Hallowen activities. It really can't be as it was when we were children.

Last night, my husband was starting dinner when he happily said, "this is the time we'd be turning off lights and moving to the bedroom" if we hadn't moved to a senior community.

Sherrie Spangler said...

What an active neighborhood you have! I haven't seen a single Halloween decoration -- not even doorstep pumpkins -- in my little neighborhood, and no trick-or-treaters. Moving on to Thanksgiving!