Monday, February 21, 2022

Susan Else quilts from TCQC 02-21-22


How many times have you heard me say I don't buy quilts that need to be boxed separately - that cannot be rolled?  Well, sometimes I do.  I have two pieces by Susan Else which reside in dedicated boxes when not on display.  Sometimes I can't resist something that "speaks" to me.    So, there are two Susan Else quilts in the Collection and they have their own  boxes.

"Coyote Fence" Susan Else 2001 26"W x 24"L
Cotton, velvet and unknown fabric. Machine quilted (base).
This is so much like the wood fences on Canyon Road in Santa Fe, NM - probably in many different places in the desert.  These are tubes of fabric stuffed and stitched to each other and the rock like base.  When I purchased it there was a lot of questioning about "is it a quilt?"  I have always thought it qualifies.  



"Cold Day"  2011 Susan Else - Santa Cruz, CA  Displayed in an 8"sq. Lucite box.  11-28-13
This came from a completed SAQA Trunk Show in the Lucite box - very cleverly held upright by tiny holes in the bottom through which stitches are taken into the lady's posterior.  I will keep her in the box, somehow it seems appropriate. 
There are four views here, one into each side of the box.  
How does she turn those tiny fingers and toes?
 

 "Cold Day"  2011 Susan Else - Santa Cruz, CA  Displayed in an 8"sq. Lucite box.  
 
"Cold Day"  2011 Susan Else - Santa Cruz, CA  Displayed in an 8"sq. Lucite box. 


"Cold Day"  2011 Susan Else - Santa Cruz, CA  Displayed in an 8"sq. Lucite box.  
#   #   #

1 comment:

Loretta said...

I love Susan's work. I have taken a number of her workshops and continue sewing arms, legs, ears onto critter bodies! I find it is getting harder and harder to sew such fine work with the circular needles and minimal hem allowances that go around deep curves, are ladder steps, etc., etc., but I continue to keep sewing as best I can. I understand that Susan too has arthritis, but she too continues and adjusts here tools accordingly! If you've not seen her fabric covered skeletons, check her website! They are spectacular!