Saturday, March 12, 2022

Friday Food 03-12-22

I have recently read a number of posts about the joys of living alone!  But nobody seems to think cooking for one person is easy or fun.  I mostly just buy groceries I have always used and each evening I open the frig and think up something to eat.  Very simple meals and sometimes just one thing - I am fond of broccoli and can cook it quickly in the microwave.   But sometimes I linger in the "day old or dented" section of the market and see if there are any bargain treats.  Which led me to purchase for 50Cents:



I am familiar with cake in a mug, but how could pancakes be "in a mug"? Of course, they cannot, this is more like a cupcake.  It tasted okay, very light and fluffy, I topped it with a little butter.  But it won't be on my grocery list in the future.  It may be tasty, but just look at all the strange ingredients used to keep it fresh.  

   Real pancakes - shaped to fit my pan. 

I do enjoy breakfast at a restaurant, but since the Covid lockdown I  rarely eat out.  I do get a craving for pancakes and I make them using this recipe for "Pancakes for One", which is sort of "Pancakes for two if they are not very hungry".  I make six pancakes and frequently eat only four, putting the other two in the frig and try to reheat them later, but they are sort of tough and soggy reheated. Half the time I just make four and pour the rest of the batter down the garbage disposal.  Sometimes I pig out and eat all six!  Recipe: 
 1 large egg, 1 Tablespoon oil, 3/4 cup milk.  Mix together in small bowl.

 3/4 cup all purpose flour, 1 Tablespoon sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder, a pinch of salt.  Stir together in a medium bowl.   

           Add the liquid ingredients and mix, leaving some small lumps to make the                pancakes a bit fluffier.  Heat a frypan and coat very lightly with oil.  
         Use about 1/4 cup per pancake.  Turn when bubbles pop on the first side. 

I top with maple syrup or sometimes raspberry jam and plain yogurt.   Makes a meal. 

#   #   #

3 comments:

Mary Ann said...

We often had pancakes for dinner. Side of bacon sometimes. We used Bisquick as the base to which you add an egg and milk. A quick dinner. My go to breakfast is a slice and a half of Canadian bacon on a third of a toasted pita with tomato if they are in season, a lo fat breakfast treat but. Now I alternate oatmeal every other day. Yum but I am getting use to it. I add raisins for taste.

Loretta said...

Absolutely, cooking for one is not exciting. My favorite meal? I fix a pot of what the girls called 'mom's good grub"! Some hamburger sauteed, add chopped onions, season with S&P, dried basil, oregano, add some celery if you have it, add a large can of chopped, or diced, or whole tomatoes, which need to be smashed while cooking, be sure there is sufficient liquid to add a half cup of uncooked rice (preferably brown), orzo, elbow mac or the like. If you need to...add additional tomato juice or just water, simmer for about half an hour or until rice/orzo are cooked. Serve in a bowl with crispy bread or the like. This last ME 4-5 days! If needed, I freeze a couple of meals and then have a surprise in the freezer for that lazy day! Also, similar recipe....make any kind of yummy soup and serve with sliced veggie, i.e. cucumber, tomato, papaya, a small salad with whatever is reasonable in the fridge! As Jacques Pepin says, "Happy Cooking"!

Mary Ann said...

Loretta my mother fed 6 hungry kids with your recipe, hamburger, onion, celery, tomatoes, macaroni and corn all plucked from our garden. We raised the beef also. It was called summer slungulion. One summer day our electricity was out and since we had the only gas stove in the neighborhood the local families gathered to make dinner. I remember the moms trading slungullion recipes. Everyone had different versions. But most it was whatever was plentiful.