Friday, March 18, 2022

Looking Back - Again 03-18-22

Ten years ago I was at Empty Spools in Ruth B. McDowell's Nature class.  I really enjoy looking back at the pictures I have taken over the years and wish I could see the finished quilts that were started in class.  I imagine that many are still unfinished.  Going from the intensity and inspiration of the class and home to our everyday humdrum lives sort of kills the direction we were going.  I learned that I needed to have a completely blank calendar for the week after Empty Spools so I could work on my class project.  So, I did finish some, but definitely not all of the Ruth inspired pieces.  Ruth is no longer teaching, but I am still going to Empty Spools.  Tomorrow I am driving up to Asilomar in Pacific Grove, CA, for five days with Sue Benner's "Abstractions" class.   I will try to blog.

In March 2012 I took some pictures of student's tables with piles of fabric to show my friends what a colorful and awesome classroom it was with each table reflecting what the student chose to work with.  

Mostly like this. 

Or this.

Or a bit more organized.  

And a few students kept it all together. 

Here are some fabrics that Ruth purchased at Back Porch fabrics that year. 


I worked on this version of Fuchsias, but never started cutting fabric.  I still have the pattern rolled up in a corner somewhere.  Maybe I will work on it someday. 

You never know what amazing talent you will find in a class.  When Suzie Constantino, who had never before taken a Ruth B. McDowell class, showed Ruth her inspiration, Ruth just stared at her.  "Are you sure?" she asked.  Yes, Suzie was sure and she worked hard every day. 




"Passion Flower"  Suzie Constantino  2012  Approximately 60"L X 40"W
Wonderful!

#   #   #


2 comments:

Loretta said...

Have yourself a grand, grand time and when you have a chance, please share! Take care and stay well.

quilter_rodborough said...

Wow! Yes, have a lovely time. I look forward to hearing about all the work.
Anne