Thursday, February 2, 2023

Cost of living 02-02-23

We all feel it!  Some more than others.  I am being a bit more of a penny-pincher -  this from a lady who has splurged at Whole Foods twice in the last month!  But some things are a little hard to take.  


Twice when I went to the market lately there were no eggs for sale.  But when I went to Ralph's the other day they had lots of eggs, however they are mostly "designer" eggs.  I actually looked up some of these terms when I got home.  The price was about $9/dozen!  Fortunately they did have some plain ole brown eggs for $5.29/dozen.  Still a bit high and I bet they taste just as good as the designer eggs.  

Today I had lunch with a friend at Fitness Grill in Yorba Linda, one of my favorite lunch spots.  It has never been a low cost meal, but it is getting more expensive.  Today we both had two salmon tacos, which are on tortillas about 4", and I had ice tea.  Our bill and added tip was $44.   I brought home our uneaten bread and chips so maybe it was 2 1/2 meals.  It was much more satisfying than a Mexican Pizza at Taco Bell but is not something I feel I could afford very often.  

On another note: my latest gas bill was $244.  About four times what it was for the same period last year.  I use gas for heat, hot water, and clothes dryer.  It is not just that it has been colder this winter, it seems the cost of gas has gone through the roof.  I'm thinking about putting up a clothesline and hanging most things out to dry in the free air.  Just like old times. 

#   #   #

2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Del
1500 sq ft home, gas hot water and dryer, I keep it at 78°F since I don't do cold very well. Last month$276 twice what I paid last year. Of course it is 14°F today. Yikes!
And I think gas is about $3.59 a gallon if you want to drive somewhere. Our regular eggs are like $3.50 a box. And there are not piles of boxes like usual.
Yesterday I treated myself to a Wendys single, small fries and coke. $9.54. Burger was good, fries, ehhh. And I never finish the coke.

Sherrie Spangler said...

My gas bill tripled the last few months! And I keep the heat lower than I like to save money.