Sunday, May 5, 2024

!@"X12" quilts from TCQC 05-05-24

The first SAQA auction I participated in was in 2007, not knowing that I would buy at least one little 12"X12" quilt every year; setting aside a certain amount of money for this purpose.  Sometimes it wasn't enough to meet bids by others, but sometimes I paid the $1000 for a quilt I particularly liked.  As more artists participate there are so many more quilts available and the choosing is more difficult.  I look for certain makers, but also for originality, techniques, and good design.  It takes some time to look closely at over 300 quilts, but it is worth it and there are some gems in the Collection.   

"Amidst the Fire"  K. Grace Howes 2009 - Huntersville, NC - 2009  12"W x 13"L
Hand-dyed cottons, fusing, beading, machine appliqued and pieced and machine quilted.
2010 SAQA Auction

The artist's statement was:  "There's a constant burning in my brain to produce, produce, produce. I can only do so much in the time given and yet, wonderfully, there is always another spark of creativity ready to be ignited. Much like an eternal flame, passion for the job never wanes."

I posted this just last year for the third time.  I am not attracted to uneven quilts, but some are just so purposely uneven, like this one.   K. Grace  was so thrilled to have her quilt sold at the auction that she contacted me to tell me so!  I do occasionally  hear from artists, but she was so enthusiastic that I remember it still.  I like having this "hot" quilt on my wall in the gloom of winter, it warms me up.

#   #   #

1 comment:

Sherrie Spangler said...

It certainly sizzles! I love it.