Thursday, September 6, 2007

I-5 South (continued)

Continuing post for Wednesday, Sep 5, 2007

Another abundant wild plant is datura, more famously known as jimsonweed, a hallucinagenic which is also highly poisonous.


These odd looking trees are pistachios, in one of the many orchards along the highway. Almonds, peaches, pears, walnuts are more common, but these trees stand out with their 'fruit' just coming into season.


I've never seen picking in progress, but I imagine there is a mechanical method similar to that used for most nut crops.

It is a 5 to 6 hour drive from SJBautista, depending on the number of stops one makes. Peaches and nectarines are still being picked so in addition to a couple pit stops I stopped at a farm stand so that I would have fresh fruit for breakfast. It was cooler in SCalifornia today, only in the high 80s, but my recording thermometer says it was 110+ sometime while I was gone. Glad I missed that! My houseplants have survived!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: