Wednesday, December 12, 2007

"Rain" 12-11-07

"Rain" Del Thomas 2003 11" x 17"

DETAIL "Rain"
This is, obviously, a night time rain with the neon lights reflecting. But, like the other weather quilts, it would be more effective if it was larger. The saying goes that "there is nothing new under the sun". Hand in hand with that is "synchronicity"! I did these "Weather or Not" quilts in May 2003. In October 2004 I saw "Passage of Time" by Eileen Lauterborn at Pacific International Quilt Festival.
Sometime in 2004 Melody Johnson created her quilt "Matchstick Moons #1".
So, at about the same time we all had the same idea, using skinny fabric strips to create designs on a background, . I suppose there are other quilts made this way, I just know about these. This isn't an unusual occurrence. The automobile, the sewing machine, the telephone are only a few of the things that were invented simultaneously by several people unknown to each other and even in different parts of the world. I have always been fascinated by this sort of thing and am amazed that I am involved in this phenomenon. I think that the quilts that Eileen and Melody created are wonderful and their use of skinny strips more effective than mine. But I am still working at it and may eventually create a design that I am happy with.

2 comments:

Corky said...

I like your quilt just as much as theirs! I remember a few years ago two woman making quilts depicting butterflies on windshields at about the same time. I seem to recall it caused a bit of a stir because some believed one copied from the other. I think it was just the same occurrence as you experienced.

Christine Thresh said...

I do like your three Weather or Not quilts. They are so right on! You captured the weather.