Friday, January 4, 2008

Bougainvillea 01-03-08

Not a lot in bloom in January, but in SCalifornia there is always something. This is the stalk of a bougainvillea vine which grows like a weed here. I love the twisting vines and the wonderful colors produced, but the plants require constant pruning and have nasty thorns.

The flower is the small trumpet shape with the tiny white 'hat', surrounding it are the colorful bracts that come in many colors from white to wine red and from pale yellow to apricot. This is the most common color - Diego Red.


Grown on a fence or trellis the plant becomes an enormous mound of color. Now there are hybrids that are bushes, rather than vines, which are very popular in desert landscaping.

Heavy rain is predicted for this weekend. I hope the forecasters aren't crying 'wolf'. Homeowners in the firestorm areas are sandbagging and piling hay bales in preparation, lest the hillsides become mud flows.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

jpsam said...

This storm system is for real! It's not too bad out there right now so I should go out and take some pictures but I'm still drying out from my last foray. Batten down those hatches!

Del said...

We are waiting for the other shoe to drop - or perhaps I should say the raindrop to drop. I have been out all morning running errands and just two blocks from my house the drizzle started. I made it home just in time!