Friday, January 4, 2008

Latest book read 01-04-08

I can't go a day without reading. I've had this affliction all my life and don't really want to have it cured. I just finished Khaled Hosseini's "A Thousand Splendid Suns". It has some heart wrenching parts, as did his "The Kite Runner", but it is a wonderful story, beautifully told and with characters that I cared about. I wish there would be a sequel to tell more about what happens to Laila and all the rest of the family. I must admit that I don't know a lot about Afghanistan - the native textiles are wonderful, the land is unforgiving, there has been constant war for many years. Seeing the inside of a family, even a fictional family, and the changes made by the wars is very sobering. How much do we value our freedoms and how quickly could they be shattered? If you don't mind having your heart 'wrenched' I recommend the book. It has been raining here, but not hard.

1 comment:

Terry Grant said...

I just bought this book, but haven't started reading it yet. Knowing that you liked it makes me quite eager to get to it! I think I can handle a little heart-wrenching. I have the same affliction as you. I have to have a book to read at least a little every day.