Wednesday, March 26, 2008

New glasses 03-26-08

Well, I diddled around and didn't take my prescription in for new glasses until this week. I had him put the lenses into my old frames which are large and have a wide bifocal area. I picked them up today and they are a little weird. I didn't realize that the standard focal length for the bifocal part is twelve inches! Whew! I don't think there are many things I have to see at twelve inches - certainly not my sewing machine and not my computer and not even reading a book. I left my reading glasses today for new lenses and can pick them up tomorrow. I don't see how people can see out of the tiny little lenses that are currently popular, some are smaller than my reading (half) glasses. So, I am impaired tonight and am trying to find things to do that are more than (or less than) twelve inches! Fortunately, I did tell him the focal length I need on my reading glasses. Meanwhile I have my nose almost on the monitor in order to read and write e-mail.

A friend sent me this URL for a new site (November 07) that helps to feed the multitude of hungry people on this earth and it checks out okay with Snopes. http://www.freerice.com/index.php It is like the vocabulary page in Reader's Digest. They give a word and four possible definitions. You indicate your answer and if you are correct the organization gives twenty grains of rice to feed the hungry. You need to read what they say on the website and then give it a try. I couldn't do much today due to my glasses, but I will put it on my regular 'play' list. And when I can figure out how to do it, I will put one of their banners on my blog sidebar.

No comments: