Monday, March 24, 2008

Skinny Strips Inspiration?? 03-24-08

"Where do you get your ideas?" I have been asked this question so often and seldom know where the ideas come from. So, sometimes I try to backtrack and see if I can find the spark that set me on the trail of an idea. As most of you know, the ideas don't pop into one's head complete in every detail, although there are always exceptions to this statement! I started working with the skinny strips without an plan, just a chance to play a little on the design board.

This version appeals to me, but it may be the ground fabric, one of my favorites.



This one looks like a three track rail system, or just a fence.

However, a couple of weeks after I arranged those skinny strips I took this picture at the lumber yard. One that I have visited many times over the past thirty years, but never with my camera at the ready.

And I wonder if my brain had stored this image in its dark recesses and it just popped up when I started playing with the skinny strips. Sort of a 'which came first?' scenario.

Everything we see can influence our design ideas and I don't think I will ever know exactly where some of my designs originate. But I am intrigued with trying to figure it out.

Posted by Picasa




1 comment:

Christine Thresh said...

I was at a lumber yard Monday and stood before that same display. We were buying baseboards.
You saw something worthy of a photo while I only saw a hard project to be done.
You have the right attitude.