Monday, October 6, 2008

In the Park - the duck brigade 10-06-08

Yesterday was a gorgeous day to walk in Tri-Cities Park - the perfect temperature, about 76F and just a gentle breeze. Corky and I enjoyed it.
There are always a few guys fishing, although I have never seen anyone catch anything. But a lot of fisher people don't really care if they catch anything, it is a sort of meditation. I remember the first time I saw the geese all lined up like this, ..what on Earth, I thought. There are walls just under the water and someone told me that at one time swimming was allowed within those walls. I doubt that, but I don't know what the walls were/are for.
Here are the ducks lined up for inspection! You'll notice the couple throwing food of some kind into the water. Very much a forbidden occupation. The food that isn't eaten gets mouldy and sickens the ducks.

This plaque is on a stone plinth right next to the walkway around the lake, but I have never noticed it before. It seems to me there was something else where this is now located and that may be, since it was dedicated this year.

Some of the trees in the park are quite old, these gum trees are probably no more than thirty years old - more like twenty probably. Gum trees (eucalyptus) are not native to the US, they were first import from Australia to California when the railroads were being built in the 1850s. It turned out the wood could not be used for RR ties, but there are lovely groves of old gums up and down the state. I'll take a picture of one of the really old trees in the park - they may have been planted in the 1880s when the reservoir was constructed.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: