Friday, November 14, 2008

Tree ID? 11-13-08

Is there another tree hugger out there? I took these pictures in Tehachapi a few weeks ago. The tree is growing in some one's front garden.

When I first looked at it I thought it might be a Larch/Tamarack. But I have only seen those in the summertime and remembered the needles as growing in bunches - these needles look more like coast redwood. And I am sure it is not one of those.


Needles starting to turn.

Needles turned but not yet falling off.
I have always thought that the larch tree was the only conifer that turns colors and drops its needles in the winter. I've done a little research online, but still haven't found anything definitive. Does anyone know?
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dawn Redwood- needles 3/4-1 1/2" long; bright green above; gray-green beneath; turn brick red before shedding in autumn. In opposite pairs. From the "NWF Field Guide to Trees of North America." My ex got me the 2008 edition for my birthday after I loaned him my old tree ID book and told him he could keep it because it was old and out of date.

teri