Thursday, November 27, 2008

Water for Wildflowers 11-26-08

The day before Thanksgiving gave us a gift we hope we can claim in February when the desert starts to bloom. If there is further rain during December there will be a spectacular wildflower display.

Here is a cropped version of the image in my 11-25-08 blog. MUCH nicer without the dirt road, fence and dumpy backyards.

This shot was taken from the same spot yesterday morning as soon as it was light enough for my camera to stop nagging about there not being enough light. Soon there was more rain which continued periodically throughout the day.

There is good reason to take the pictures straight out in the lake. If the camera is pointed right to the north you have this view.

And it isn't a great view if if I turn it the other way, looking to the left/south. I don't know if the homeowners knew they would have ugly wooden utility poles and a crisscross of wires interfering with the expensive view. Incidental information: Some people have trouble spelling desert/dessert, but I, and all my classmates, have it down pat. Our fifth grade teacher taught us that "desert" has one 's' which stands for sand. But "dessert" has two 's' which indicates sweet sugar. It is a little trick that has saved me from embarrassment any number of times.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Patty ♣ said...

Hi Del! I like your teacher's advice on the spellings! I tell my students that you WANT more dessert, with the two 's'...I sorta like yours better!