Saturday, December 13, 2008

Stormy Weather 12-13-08

I suppose some of you will think I have a nerve showing the weather in SCalifornia while half the country is suffering from ice, snow, rain, power outages, etc. But for us this IS weather.

The CVS drugstore I sometimes go to has a row of these palm trees in the middle of the parking lot. I don't know what kind they are, but they always remind me of the fans held by slaves in Egyptian paintings. This one shows up nicely against the baggy grey clouds.

The wind was whipping things up and chasing the clouds, so each minute looking through the camera was different. Grey clouds, blue sky, white clouds - changing, changing, changing.
I also made a swing over to Tall Mouse our local independent craft store to pick up some ribbon and Xmas gift bags. I've been shopping here for thirty years, I think. It was sad to see it so empty this evening, so close to Xmas.
From that view of Tall Mouse I turned to see these purple bags of moisture - an amazing color, eh? The sun was almost down and I headed home before the rain started, but it didn't start. Maybe tomorrow - I hope it is a gentle rain so the hillsides won't slide down.
Tomorrow evening I will post another quilt from the TCQC.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Sheri said...

We're having very cold rain turning to snow later. You weather looks very appealing:)

Louise in SW Saskatchewan said...

I am always taking pictures of the sky/clouds, espcially interesting ones, hoping to be able to use them as references for future fabric painting inspiration.

Of course, living out here with the wide open spaces and a 360 degree horizon means there's a lot of sky to look at. The more sky the better as far as I'm concerned.

I love the look of the palm trees in California...... I have so many pictures of many of the different kinds I saw there on my trip this summer.

BTW..... we are living at the moment with extreme cold..... which is going to be lasting until at least the end of the week. These temps will mean nothing to you other than numbers... -33C with windchill factor of -49C which translates to about -25F and windchill around -55F. I'm staying indoors as much as I can. Enjoy your "cold" weather.