Friday, January 23, 2009

New Color Bowls 01-22-09

I have been making what I call "Color Bowl" quilts for a number of years now. It is something I came up with on my own and enjoy doing. But I have found that I need to have a design idea and make the bowls specifically to fit that idea. I can't just make a bunch in different colors and store them for future use.

I use already fused fabric, mostly scraps from other projects, cut into sort of scythe shapes to fit inside a circle drawn on paper (this circle is about 3"). I put a Teflon sheet over the paper which lets me see the drawing of the circle underneath. Then I shape and pin the pieces started from the outside of the circle and overlapping just a tiny bit.

When I have about half of the circle done I use the little Clover iron (with a handle like a screwdriver) and fuse the pieces together, removing the pins as I go. If the entire circle is filled and pinned it is impossible to get the little iron in between the pins to adequately fuse the pieces. Then I go back to cutting and pinning until the circle is filled. Sometimes I put something in the center, but mostly not. If you click on "Color Bowls" in the tag list on the right side of the blog you will see all of those that I have posted previously. Or just click on this URL to see a small quilt.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Beverly said...

I love all the color bowl quilts! It looks like a fun concept to play with.

And, I fixed my blog so I can be easily emailed. Thanks for the tip on that one.

Christine Thresh said...

I enjoyed looking at your Color Bowl quilts. I look forward to a new one.
Are the strips just fused or are they turned under and then fused?

Corky said...

Thanks for sharing the color bowl technique. I love the quilts.

Terry Grant said...

I really like your color bowls quilts and love the idea of artists who have a form that they continue to use. I don't think I've found mine yet.